Technology

Top 10 Tips You Need on PCB Routing If You Are A Beginner

In the case of PCB design, an old saying is that PCB is 10% routing, and the rest 90% is placement. Yeah, it is true till now. The placements of components decide how much time you will need on routing. Both of the tasks are equally important.

If you are a beginner in Victory PCB, you may be overwhelmed by all the chaotic works. SO, here I have tried to give you ten tips of PCB routing that may help you make your first successful PCB layout.

Which tips do you need as a beginner?

  1. Don’t count on Auto-router only: There are functions called auto-router in every PCB design software. When seeing this easy method, a beginner misunderstands the whole thing and never tries to realize the main complete detail things. You have to remember that an auto-router can be very good but can never replace yourself. It is recommended that you not complete all the works regarding routing on the PCB board relying on auto-router. IF you can master the process and designs, you can make a better PCB by yourself.
  1. Understand specification: Before laying down copper traces, you have to know the specification requirement of the PCB board the manufacturer want. You have to know the exact minimum trace widths, spacing, number of layers, etc., to make the ordered board.

3. Trace Width: You will need the width of the trace when the electricity passes the copper traces. Heat will produce in the PCB, and that is always a concerning issue with electric items. This heat can be reduced in many ways, and one of them is controlling the width of traces. Thickness also depends on the width of the trace.

  1. Space between Traces: it is one of the critical factors in manufacturing to leave enough space between traces on the layout. If you put those things too close, it will be a risk of a short circuit. It is not 100% precise in manufacturing PCB.
  1. Making the job easier with snap grid: snap grid settings will make your work handy for component placement and router process. You should turn on the visible grid snap as there is no reason to make it off. You will thank yourself later; you can mark my words.
  1. Try to avoid 90-degree angle traces: Every engineer or manufacturer will tell you the same thing that tries to avoid 90-degree angle traces. The reason is when you will use a bunch of sharp and right-angled traces, and the outside corner becomes narrower than standard. The worst scene is, 90-degree traces don’t stay etched. So, for solving this, you can use 45-degree traces. It will give a beautiful layout.
  1. Leave space between mounting holes and traces: In the process of component placement, you have to leave space between traces and other components. If you don’t, it will create a shock on the board, which can be hazardous. So, remember to leave space while making the board.
  1. Create ground plane: A common ground can give all traces on PCB the same point for measuring voltage. It becomes easy and handy. Otherwise, you will find it challenging to maintain resistance and voltage. To stay away from this nonsense, you can create a dedicated ground plane.
  1. Make wider your power & ground traces: All of your PCB layouts aren’t equal when created. If you don’t make ground traces wider, then the power flow will create a ton of heat while going through those spaces. It will burn wires and ruin the board.
  1. Use Vias: It is the final tip. Vias are ideal for both providing electrical connectivity in layers and moving heat from one side to another.

As a beginner in Victory PCB, you should remember all the above tips.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
Close